20 Questions with Mourning Goats
INTERVIEW TWENTY THREE
Max is another author that I've had the privilege to read because of Chuck Palahniuk. The first paragraph of Syrup is one of my favorite openings to a book of all time, I won't write it here, but I hope that makes you go out and buy it, it's worth it! His new book, Machine Man, just came out, and it is epic, check out his interview, below!
A literary novel about a woman's existential quest for meaning, including a heart-rending section set on a farm where her childhood pets are sent to slaughter.
2. Your new book, Machine Man, just came out, what was your process writing this one? I know it was very different than your other books.
3. I loved your first three books, is Machine Man going in a different direction, or should your readers expect the same, Max Barry?
4. Syrup is being turned into a movie, how insane was it finding out that it was really going to happen? When is it expected to hit theaters?
5. You’re not doing the normal book tour, can you tell us a little bit about your skype tour? How is it going?
6. How did you go about selling Machine Man? Especially, with the way you wrote it.
I got about two months in and thought, "If I'm going to spend nine months writing this thing, I should earn something from it." So I threw up a PayPal thing.
7. Your book trailer was brilliant, have you heard a lot of responses to it? Are you going to continue doing them?
8. I read in another interview that you have two books in progress, do you have any updates about them?
9. Where do you see literature going? Is it all going to e-readers, online, etc.?
It's definitely going to e-readers. I think the novel is safe. But paper is in big trouble.
10. You wrote a novel in college and multiple others after that were never published, what ever happened to them? Any chances of resurrection?
11. You have two little girls now, are they taking a lot of your time away from writing or just inspiring you to write more?
12. Are you in any writer’s workshops, currently? I remember you used to be a part of an online workshop, yes?
13. What can you tell us about Eight Weeks in Aquitaine? Is it still a viable option? Maybe under a pseudonym?
14. I was just turned on to www.corporateoppression.com doing research for this interview, it’s awesome, have you seen a lot of hits on it?
15. You have Max’s Bookshelf on your page, which is awesome, are you reading anything now that you can’t put down?
will be heart-broken.
16. Starting to blog so your readers don’t get bored is really nice of you; do you feel like authors today have a choice?
17. The reviews of Machine Man, so far, are extremely positive; do you think you’ll do another project like this?
18. With all of the specific company names you used in your first three published books, how have you not been sued?
19. I have to say, when someone comes over to my place and wants to talk about books, I show every one of them the first paragraph of Syrup, it’s just brilliant, how do you think the movie will transfer over to film?
20. Do you have any advice for aspiring writers, or just anything you’d like to send out into cyberspace, through a goat?
But don't be INSANE. There's a line.
And finally, don't forget to "like" Mourning Goats on Facebook and pick up Chewing the Page: The Mourning Goats Interviews on Amazon!